Hôtel de Crillon
Hôtel de Crillon is located in Paris Hôtel de Crillon
Location within Paris
Location Paris, France
Address 10, place de la Concorde
75008 Paris, France
Opening 12 March 1909
Owner Prince Mutaib bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
Management Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
Design and construction
Louis François Trouard
Number of rooms 124
Number of suites 46
The Hôtel de Crillon in Paris is a historic luxury hotel that opened in 1909 — in a building dating to 1758. Located at the foot of the Champs-Élysées, the Crillon along with the Hotel de la Marine is one of two identical stone palaces on the Place de la Concorde.
With 124 guest rooms and 46 suites, ranging in price from USD $1,350 to USD $15,000 per night.the facility also features three restaurants, a bar, outdoor terrace, gym and health club on the premises.
The Crillon was extensively renovated from 2013 to 2017.
Hôtel de Crillon
The building that is now the hotel was constructed in 1758 after King Louis XV commissioned the architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel to build two palaces in what would become the Place de la Concorde. The two identical buildings, separated by the rue Royale, were initially designed to be government offices of the French state.
The eastern building remains to this day the headquarters of the French Navy, the Royale. The northern building that would become the Hôtel de Crillon was first occupied by Louis Marie Augustin, Duke of Aurmont, a famous patron of the French Arts. The building was further enhanced by its second owner, the architect Louis-François Trouard, who had the Salon de Aigles built in 1775.
On 6 February 1778, the building was used as the venue for the official signing of the first treaties between the newly founded United States and France. Americans Benjamin Franklin, Silas Deane and Arthur Lee met French diplomat Conrad Alexandre Gérard de Rayneval to conclude the French-American treaty that recognised the Declaration of Independence of the United States and a trade agreement.
In 1788, the Duke of Crillon, François Félix Dorothée Des Balbes de Berton de Crillon, acquired the building for his home. But it was confiscated shortly thereafter by the government of the French Revolution in 1791. Two years later, King Louis XVI was guillotined in the Place de la Concorde directly in front of the building in 1793.
Eventually, the building was returned to its owner, whose descendants lived there for more than a century. In 1907, the Société du Louvre purchased the property and transformed it into a hotel. The building then underwent a two-year refurbishment under the supervision of noted architect Gabriel-Hippolyte Destailleur. Two neighbouring buildings on the rue Boissy d’Anglas were purchased to enlarge the property. The new Hôtel de Crillon opened on 12 March 1909.
The hotel housed members of the American delegation to the Paris Peace Conference after World War I, including President Wilson’s key advisor Edward House.
Until 2005, through Concorde Hotels & Resorts, the Hôtel de Crillon was part of the Société du Louvre, whose shares are listed on the Paris Stock Exchange, and was controlled by the Taittinger family holding company. Starwood Capital bought the hotel from the former Taittinger group in 2005. On 1 November 2010, Le Figaro newspaper reported that a sale is in final negotiations to a Saudi group related to the Saudi Arabian Royal Family. On 23 November 2010, the French online newsource ‘Challenges.fr’ reported the sale of the hotel to the Saudi Arabian royal family member
Prince Mitab Ben Abdalah ben Abd al-Aziz Al Saoud. In December 2013, it was announced that Rosewood Hotels & Resorts would manage the hotel, which reopened 5 July 2017 from a major renovation
Paris is known for its grand, stately hotels.
And luckily, staying at a classic property doesn’t have to mean dealing with ancient amenities, as some of the area’s most famous hotels have gone through renovations.
Following the fanfared redesign of the Ritz Paris (a longtime favorite of Fashion Week attendees) in June 2016, the latest big relaunch is the Hôtel de Crillon.
This hotel in a 17th-century building on the Place de la Concorde is about as central as it gets. Famous guests have included everyone from Winston Churchill to Kate Moss.
One suite is named after Marie Antoinette, who took music lessons there before the property was converted into a hotel in the early 1900s. Another was named for composer Leonard Bernstein, a habitué of the Crillon.
While modern amenities such as Wi-Fi are in place, the hotel hasn’t lost any of its Parisian glamor. Two hotel suites, the “apartements,” were designed by Karl Lagerfeld, whose day job is running French couture house Chanel. The $229 million renovation (200 million euros) was paid for by Rosewood, the hospitality group that now owns the Hôtel de Crillon.
Beyond the glamorous rooms, there are also the markers of a typical upscale hotel such as a spa, pool and fitness center, plus a few elegant extras: a men’s grooming salon where guys can get an old-fashioned shave and a “shoe care salon” where guests stop in to get footwear fixed up, shined and re-soled.
Non-guests are still welcome in public spaces, including the intimate 60-seat Les Ambassadeurs bar, which is known for its encyclopedic Champagne collection.
Très élégant, non?